Oracle, SAP HANA and SQL Server data base administrators (DBA) often have difficulties to ensure the uninterrupted operation of databases using both traditional backup solutions and disk based snapshot technologies. These difficulties include:
- In large organizations, backup and recovery processes are often not under the control of DBA. In these situations, they rely on backup administrator, in particular, copies of the backup are replicated to the offsite data center;
- Using backup solutions increases the overall cost of maintaining databases, and when dealing with them, the DBA’s face a completely different and unknown environment;
- The backup copies take up increasingly more disk space;
- Recovering backups takes so much time that the continuity of databases remains even more complicated;
- Using only the “Snapshot” functionality of the disk array, there are certain limitations of the recovery and maintenance of backup copies, as well as in the event of a ransomware attack or a failure of a disk array, both the basic data and its backup copies are lost.
HPE 3PAR in cooperation with HPE StoreOnce disk array offer at least two approaches to resolve the above issues.
- Use of standard database backup tools (e.g. Oracle RMAN or SAP HANA Backint) together with the HPE StoreOnce Catalyst Plug-in, which provides that the database backups are effectively copied to HPE StoreOnce – specialized array for storing backups;
- HPE disk array interconnection with Oracle, SAP HANA and SQL Server databases, use HPE 3PAR snapshot functionality and HPE RMC to replicate the backups directly to HPE StoreOnce disk array without the use of any additional tools.
The above-mentioned approaches have the following benefits:
Lower time consumption for backup and recovery:
- HPE StoreOnce Catalyst Plug-In deduplicates the data either on the database server (source side), thereby reducing the data traffic sent over the network, or it can be deduplicated on the StoreOnce disk array (target side), thereby reduction the computing load on the database servers;
- HPE RMC accelerates the creation of backup copies of databases by creating hundreds of quick, constant snapshots, sending only changed data blocks to StoreOnce. This means that backups are created as incremental backups, but stored as “syntetic full”. This approach significantly reduces the time needed to recover backup copies.
- HPE StoreOnce Catalyst Plug-in allows creation of database backups on the StoreOnce disk array without having to purchase additional third-party backup software solutions or hardware for its operation. The DBA can control the creation and recovery of backups with standard database tools without sending data through a backup media server;
- HPE RMC is a free solution that, using the StoreOnce Federated Deduplication technology, reduces the disk space required for backup storage by an average of 20 times.
- HPE StoreOnce Catalyst Plug-in can be installed with few mouse clicks, ensuring full transparency and control of backups, allowing them to be created, recovered and deleted using standard database tools (Oracle Enterprise Manager, SAP HANA Studio or SQL Server Studio);
- HPE RMC provides a unified backup management interface between the HPE 3PAR and StoreOnce disk arrays, their interconnected network hardware ant the ability to track backups and their statuses.
Reach a fast, easy and affordable protection for Oracle, SAP HANA and Microsoft SQL Server databases with HPE RMC, 3PAR and HPE StoreOnce Catalyst Plug-in.